TheJoyPads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice

+2
Pwiimus
Ashworthy-Harvington
6 posters

Go down

Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice Empty Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice

Post by Ashworthy-Harvington Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 pm

So, the shiny new slimline version of the Xbox 360 has a sleeker design, but more importantly, built in wireless functionality. Finally, I'd be able to download XBLA exclusive games such as Braid and Monday Fight Night, and maybe brave into the world of online multiplayer (beyond the odd Mario Kart race night). Unfortunately, apparently my old HDD (from when I got my original "completely red ringed" effort) isn't compatible with this shiny new console, and although I could simply attempt to transfer all my save files to my laptop via USB before the swap, I don't like the risk of losing my save files AND knackering my laptop somehow.

Putting my technologic hypochondria aside, is it worth upgrading my 360? Does having the latest model make all the difference? Would it be cheaper to simply shill out for the old model's Wifi adapter?
Ashworthy-Harvington
Ashworthy-Harvington

Back to top Go down

Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice Empty Re: Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice

Post by Pwiimus Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 am

Well yes it would be cheaper lol, but you'd miss out on a quieter box and if you were to get Kinect you'd need one less socket as the slim has it's own Kinect power supply.

You could get a transfer kit to swap your HDD data over, I have also seen online a way to hook your old 360 HDD to your shiny new slim Very Happy
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice Empty Re: Upgrading my 360: the difficult choice

Post by Wido Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:22 am

Well. I know I wouldn't mind having the new Xbox 360. Though I am perfectly happy with my Elite at the moment in time. No RROD so far on the slim. Not heard any reports. Suppose to be more quiet and more faster and having very good wifi built in as well.

I don't see why not to be honest Ash. You can easily get the offical Microsoft file transfer device to copy over your saved files.
Wido
Wido

http://thejoypadsnews.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashworthy-Harvington Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:28 pm

The only problem with that is, on my wages, the only way I could afford to get the new Xbox 360 is by part-exchanging it with my old one (with the HDD still attached to it) at Gamestation or CEX, whoever has a better deal pale . Besides, the cable needed for the transfer costs £15, which is ridiculous since I'd only need to use it ONCE (shakes fist at Bill Gates swimming in his pool of money like Scrooge McDuck).

And before you ask, I've worked too damn hard on Fallout 3, Fable 2 and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to simply start them all over from scratch Razz . I may try using a USB stick after all, though how well that'll go down. (you'll be the first to know Wink )
Ashworthy-Harvington
Ashworthy-Harvington

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Moving save games to usb shouldn't be a problem
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you were REALLY desperate for the new stuff and online features. Add them up and see if it's truly a good deal. I remember you mentioning some money problems (I think...) so you might regret it if you buy this.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by rbevanx Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:20 am

Well I traded in my Elite as it RROD on me and I only had a month left on my warranty.
So I traded it in with Cex and bought a slim @ GAME, as I didnt want it to RROD on me again and I couldn't send to MS.
This is the last time I get a new 360 (This is my third 360 now) as I have suffered two RROD's now.
I think if it happend again, I would call up MS and demand they fix it or I never buy an Xbox again.
rbevanx
rbevanx

Back to top Go down

Post by Wido Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 am

Not too sure whether or not GAME are still doing them trade-in prices. I got 4GB Slim off Amazon and traded it in when I got it. I got £120 trade-in value when I brought it for £50. That £120 is going towards the 3DS, and the £200 I already saved up the 3DS is heading towards a new PS3 Slim. Might as well get the PS Move kit with it and few games as a bundle.
Wido
Wido

Back to top Go down

Post by rbevanx Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 am

No the offer has now finished with the trade in prices.
rbevanx
rbevanx

Back to top Go down

Post by Wido Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:20 am

Damn. Could of got yourself a nice trade-in price.
Wido
Wido

Back to top Go down

Post by chelskiboy247 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 pm

To be honest if you're currently using your 360 without any of the online features, then you're missing out on a lot. But other than that, I don't see why it would be necessary to upgrade.d And if you're having financial problems, perhaps it would an idea to find an alternative solution to your WiFi troubles.
chelskiboy247
chelskiboy247

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum