TheJoyPads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Recommendation Thread

+3
Kuroneko
RawkHawk
Smudge
7 posters

Go down

The Recommendation Thread Empty The Recommendation Thread

Post by Smudge Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:31 pm

The title says it all really. This thread is basically where you come to recommend a game and not to recommend. Give us a brief bit on why you think its recommended and not recommended.

To anyone who doesn't already have it, Borderlands is a must get. The story is a little weird and not there at times, but I haven't seen two guns the same yet, there are plenty of different ways your character can go.

You choose from one of 4 main types, the within each of the types there are 3 sub categories, but you don't have to stay specific to just the one, you can mix and match different types.

The controls are simplistic and get the job done, the A.I is challenging yet not annoyingly difficult and the game is just generally fun.
Smudge
Smudge

http://kingsmudge.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

The Recommendation Thread Empty Re: The Recommendation Thread

Post by RawkHawk Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 am

Many people already know my list, but I'll post it anyway:

Ace Attorney

This is a series of games, mostly courtroom dramas, based around members of the law solving crimes. There are three parts: Phoenix Wright (Trilogy), Apollo Justice (Planned trilogy, currently 1 game), and Investigations (Currently 1 game). They are amazing. The music is cool, the stories are smart and the characters grow on you. Last year, I only knew one other person who had played a Phoenix Wright game the whole way through. With Phoenix Wright for WiiWare, I know at least three others who played the first game and loved it. It's a steal on WiiWare.

The World Ends With You

A cult DS RPG by Square Enix and Jupiter, in which a boy finds himself part of a game of survival in modern-day Japan. The learning curve is steep, but it's fulfilling once you understand it. It's my favourite DS game.

Fire Emblem

A Nintendo series which recieved a lot more attention after featuring in SSBM. There are multiple different sagas: The Akaenia Saga (Dark Dragon, Gaiden, Mystery of the Emblem, Shadow Dragon), The Jugdral Saga (Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776), The Elibe Saga (Sword of Seals, Blazing Sword), The Magvel Saga (Sacred Stones) and The Tellius Saga (Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn). Each saga introduces a new mechanic to make the games varied (for instance, the Jugdral Saga added a system into Holy War in which pairing couples in the first part would affect the children in the second half). The games are all great, with some standing out more than others. Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon are all availible outside of Japan, and I reccommend Blazing Sword (simply titled 'Fire Emblem'), as it's fun, challenging, has a great story, good mechanics and deep characters.

Elite Beat Agents

You may not like all the songs in it, but this is a great rhythm game. Each song is accompanied with a story which is affected by how well you do in the song (for instance, one song has you helping out heiresses on a desert island, while another has you helping a taxi driver take a pregnant woman to hospital). This game costs about £5 in shops like Gamestation, and with some people getting it for as low as 99p, it's a great deal.

Tales of Vesperia

One of my favourite 360 games. It's an RPG that is part of the popular Tales series, and was reccommended to me by our admin, Cory. The minor features can help make the game amazing, and one of these is the little stores you get while travelling. They talk about events in-game, or different characters, and these can often be funny, especially when a certain fiery lady joins your team.

Mother 3

A part of the Earthbound/Mother games. This one stars Lucas, who you will know from Brawl. The first few chapters follow different characters, such as Flint, Lucas's father, or Salsa, a dancing monkey. Lucas is the main character though. I won't reveal much of the story, but it's funny, but also very sad. It's one of the most depressing games I've ever played, as well as one with a massive twist. However, it's so amazing that you can't not play it.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudge Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am

Just downloaded the first Ace Attorney, now I know I said that it was too talkie for me, but I plugged on, wanted to give it a proper go and I enjoyed the first chapter.

However, come chapter 2, I got a little stuck and it seemed to drag a bit. I love the actual in court bit, but the other bits feel like they drag a bit. Just my opinion though.
Smudge
Smudge

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 am

A few more games:

Dragon Quest

Basically, any of these games are good. My personal favourites are the Zenithian games. I haven't played the sixth yet, I'm waiting for the DS remake. However, I've played the fourth and fifth (the trilogy are games Four, Five and Six), and they're amazing. Great RPG's Very Happy

Paper Mario

Paper Mario is a series of games focusing on a paper version of Mario. Sound crap? It's actually amazing. It's full of charm and style, as well as a great story. I recommend the first two.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

This seems like a weird choice, right? Yes, it does. However, all WarioWare games are amazing (except Snapped), and this one is also amazing. It lacks key features of other games (e.g. a proper 'gallery mode'). It's so much fun though, and I enjoy getting Smooth Moves out occasionally for the minigames. Also, Tomorrow Hill is a sweet song.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudge Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 am

RawkHawk wrote:A few more games:

Dragon Quest

Basically, any of these games are good. My personal favourites are the Zenithian games. I haven't played the sixth yet, I'm waiting for the DS remake. However, I've played the fourth and fifth (the trilogy are games Four, Five and Six), and they're amazing. Great RPG's Very Happy.

Is the sixth the one that came out on PS3/360? As it looks really good, Has anyone played this game?
Smudge
Smudge

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 am

A Dragon Quest game has never hit PS3 or 360. I believe you're thinking of Dragon Age, my dear Smudge Smile No mainstream Dragon Quest game has hit a current-gen console (excluding handhelds) until DQX for Wii. The sixth Dragon Quest is a remake of the SNES version, I believe.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudge Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:55 am

Yes, I do seem to get the two confused alot

Has anyone played the newset Dragon AGE. lol
Smudge
Smudge

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 am

I believe Cory has. You should ask him, he should have a good opinion of it.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudge Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 am

*Sets off the Cory signal*

Cory! Advice is needed!
Smudge
Smudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuroneko Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Guild Wars

It's a free online MMORPG there is a good storyline for PvE and if you don't like going against the environment there is a separate set up for PvP. There are 3 campaigns, 1 expansion, and a sequel coming out late this year. The graphics are brilliant and there are several professions to chose from.

EDIT: Guild Wars 2 is not expected till next year

Diablo II

Another awesome RPG the story is really good with a good amount of item drops. You play online or in single player mode, you can also get an expansion called Lord of Destruction that adds more game content.

Last edited by Kuroneko on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adjust of sequel mention)
Kuroneko
Kuroneko

http://fushigihaven.invisionplus.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunncor Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 am

Smudge wrote:*Sets off the Cory signal*

Cory! Advice is needed!

Oh, hi! Sorry about the delay, suicide missions to go on and stuffs.

Before I start, my experiences with Dragon Age are with the PC version. Generally considered the best version of the game (As it's available on 360, PC and PS3). I'll try and relate to the 360 version though.

In terms of general story telling, characters, and things like that. Dragon Age is a lot like other Bioware games. i.e. Lots of talking and character development. (Think KoToR, ME1/2). 3 Main classes, Fighter, Mage and Rogue. 3 main races, Human, Elf and Dwarf. With 2/3 story backgrounds you can have depending on class/race choices.

In terms of gameplay, the PC version is heavily based off the Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Night styles. (Both Bioware again). Judging by video's I've seen, the 360 and PS3 versions are a lot more like Mass Effect. (With a Battle Wheel much similar to ME's).

I don't actually know how to explain the game, I'd be better off answering specific questions about it. ^_^
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

http://www.thejoypads.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 am

Can someone reccommend me some good DS RPG's? I'm looking to buy one after Miles Edgeworth and Heart Gold.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Komodo_Zero Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:11 pm

No More Heroes 2 Desperate Struggle

Been playing the import version all afternoon, it's so ****ing amazing that it will **** your **** right off faster than a ****** with ***** rammed up it's **** while ****ing a ***** up the ******.

I think you get the picture XD
It's very much worth playing if you played the first game, but it it pretty much "more of the same" though. If you don't mind that, you get some really over the top, humorous antics that will guarantee to make you laugh out loud. And gore, it won't be censored for the European release this time round XD
Komodo_Zero
Komodo_Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunncor Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Is NMH2 a game for people who disliked the first, or not?
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

http://www.thejoypads.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Komodo_Zero Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Disliking the first is something I can't really understand, but it is "more of the same" so I wouldn't say it is.
Komodo_Zero
Komodo_Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Hmm, is it worth buying?
Darren
Darren

http://www.shinesparkers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Komodo_Zero Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 pm

If you really enjoyed the first, yes.
Komodo_Zero
Komodo_Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure-rain Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Its definitely worth downloading.....;D

Anyway, I recommend Rogue Galaxy for ps2.
Its awesome.
Azure-rain
Azure-rain

Back to top Go down

Post by Komodo_Zero Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 am

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars.

This game is mad. Don't let the relatively unknown in the west Tatsunoko side of the game put you off, it is a brilliant title well worth trying out.
Komodo_Zero
Komodo_Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure-rain Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:01 pm

I highly second Komodo.

Its fecking awesome.
Azure-rain
Azure-rain

Back to top Go down

Post by Komodo_Zero Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:33 pm

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger.

The game get's released in two weeks from tomorrow, and it has a sweet special edition!
Komodo_Zero
Komodo_Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 am

Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure.

Yes, it sounds weird, but hear me out. It's a platformer where you also have to do puzzles similar to Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, etc) and Bejewled. Sounds stupid, right? It works quite well. The platforming element is solid, the puzzle element is fun, and best of all, Henry Hatsworth has a cool accent and when he says 'Good Show!', it makes me happy. He's stereotypically British.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down