TheJoyPads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite/Memorable levels

4 posters

Go down

Favourite/Memorable levels Empty Favourite/Memorable levels

Post by Ashworthy-Harvington Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Even if an entire video game is made of 100% awesome, there's usually one or two levels that tend to stand out for individual players for various reasons - maybe it's the music, or there's a certain challenge or game-play aspect that stands out. Whatever the reason, I reckon we should share our favourite levels and see if people agree.

WARNING: I have quite a few "Favourite Levels", so my list is gonna be long.

Nep-Enut's Domain (Level 3-3 of Yoshi's Island)
This game is pretty much my all-time favourite video game and this level exemplifies why: you get to transform into a helicopter AND a submarine, plus it's the one place you find the tall shyguys who spit melon seeds when you jump on them. Heck, the entirety of World 3 is fun to play, Yoshi fits into a jungle setting even more so than Donkey Kong. Speaking of which...

"Bramble Blast" (Donkey Kong Country 2)
OK, the main reason this is on here is because of the 'sticker-brush symphony' music. It's nice and relaxing compared to the fiendish nature of the level (90% it being made of thorns), but it's challenging in a fun way. To a lesser extent, I also love any level set in the Zinger hives.

"Ravenholm" and "Sandtraps" (Half Life 2)
Love them both for different reasons. Considering the first part of the game is you running off from City 17 and the Combine, it made a nice change to be fighting hordes of Head-Crab Zombies (especially by using the Gravity Gun and buzz-saws Twisted Evil ); it was basically a Survival Horror game for one level. Sandtraps, on the other hand, eventually let you command Antlions to attack the Combine. Sweet!

"Buoy Base Galaxy" and "Space Storm Galaxy" (SMG 1 & 2)
Another one almost purely based on the awesome music. Buoy Base was a decent "tower climb" level, not to mention its quite difficult Green Star (damn those homing Bullet Bills!). The Space Storm Galaxy, however had the cool gimmick of slowing down time, altering the music in the process.

"Tranquility Lane" (Fallout 3)
Compared to the nightmarish world of Capital Wasteland, the computer simulated world of Tranquility Lane gives us a chance to see what Fallout's world looked like Pre-War - basically, a cheery, 1950s suburban paradise. However, there's Dr Braun, a character who gives GLADoS a run for her money in the "Creepy Villain" category. There are only two ways to escape this virtual nightmare and neither are pretty.

"Treasure Island of Doom!" (Fable II)
Ghost Pirates. That is all.

"Jolly Roger's Lagoon" (Banjo Tooie)
Similar reasons to above (Replace "Ghost" with "homosexual/transexual frogs" ). The music when you're swimming under the sea gives you a real sense of exploration and wonder, not to mention alien spacecraft, turning into a submarine and an angle-fish boss battle...

Pretty much any section where Scarecrow is involved (Batman: Arkham Asylum)
Without giving away too many spoilers, you really do encounter Batman's worst fears.

"Ugga Bugga" (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
95% of this game is made up of brilliant, hilarious levels. However, the prehistoric world takes the biscuit: A nightclub where you can get Conker completely wasted, a jet-board race on a river of lava and getting to ride around on a velociraptor eating cavemen.

"Mar's Temple" (Jak II)
Considering that Jak II decided to follow a similar format to the Grand Theft Auto formula (albeit set in a futuristic fantasy world), it was nice to go back to the solid platforming that made the original Jak & Daxter entertaining. Plus you actually got to play as Daxter!

They're all I can think of for now. Yes, there are more, but I'd like to see what your favourite levels are first Wink.
Ashworthy-Harvington
Ashworthy-Harvington

Back to top Go down

Favourite/Memorable levels Empty Re: Favourite/Memorable levels

Post by Darren Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Has to be Link to the past, when I realised the game was so much more bigger than I could imagine as I stepped into the Dark World! Very Happy
Darren
Darren

http://www.shinesparkers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 am

I'll put these in spoilers as they might get a bit long and some of them are actually spoilers.

The World Ends With You

Spoiler:

Super Mario World

Spoiler:

Super Mario Sunshine

Spoiler:

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Spoiler:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Spoiler:
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashworthy-Harvington Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Darren wrote:Has to be Link to the past, when I realised the game was so much more bigger than I could imagine as I stepped into the Dark World! Very Happy

I love the overworld theme for Dark World - I wish they used it more often in newer Zelda games.

Speaking of Zelda, my favourite "levels" are the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time (another one due to the music), pretty much ANY part of Minish Cap when Link shrinks, the Bridge of Eldin duel in Twilight Princess and the final part of Majora's Mask...

Ashworthy-Harvington
Ashworthy-Harvington

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:11 pm

I always loved Kokiri Forest and the Subrosian world from Oracle of Seasons.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Scabby Sid Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:05 pm

The mine in GoW1 is always a favourite, as is the descent into the sinkhole in GoW1. Also was a big fan of the vehicle level in Halo 3 with the scarabs.

Favourite zones in MMOs include Un'Goro crater, Ironforge, Dun Morogh Howling Fjord and Nagrand in WoW, as well as Thorin's Gate (Inc. Thorin's Hall) and The Shire in LotRO (a very pretty game), along with Norsca, Karin Valley, Praag and Altdorf (the Order capital) from WAR (another very pretty game, although the 800-player keep sieges meant I had to run it on low)

In Mirror's edge the level where you run through the sewers and up the large cylindrical hole thing sticks out in my memory. Need to play through that game again.

In Rise of the Argonauts, I really loved Tartarus, the gameplay flowed well through there and remained challenging with the
Spoiler:
. Great game.

And finally Greed, the 4th level of Hell in Dante's Inferno was a long and challenging level, but rewarding and oh so fun, with the mandatory vehicle section (although not as good as a later vehicle section) and the introduction of new opponents and shocking plot twists around every corner. Apart from that thing with the portals, that took me fucking ages.
Scabby Sid
Scabby Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:15 am

Ooh, I'd like to add a few.

Blue Dragon

Spoiler:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Spoiler:

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

Spoiler:
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashworthy-Harvington Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:26 am

RawkHawk wrote:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Spoiler:

Yeah, that was a freaking awesome chapter-
Spoiler:

While I'm here, I'll throw in a couple more of my favourite levels.

Donkey Kong Country

Spoiler:

Portal

Spoiler:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4

Spoiler:

Mr. Nutz

Spoiler:

Super Mario 64

Spoiler:
Ashworthy-Harvington
Ashworthy-Harvington

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:32 am

I loved most levels in Donkey Kong Country, now that I think about it. Is Fear Factory the one with the oil barrels that you have to step on at the right time?
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down