TheJoyPads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog

+2
Dunncor
PlatinumSamusUK
6 posters

Go down

Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog Empty Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog

Post by PlatinumSamusUK Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 am

[16:59] We're but a moment away from kick off. Two streams have gone live with Gamespot and IGN

[17:00] Here we go! A countdown appears from 10, and come zero, on comes Reggie. I hope he's going to kick ass and take names. And smash lots of stuff.

[17:01] Reggie is talking about the technology not mattering. No Wii HD then I'm guessing, sorry folks.

[17:02] zelda trailer! Link is doing a lot of sword flailing. The title is Skyward Sword. A video of Miyamoto begins to play. He has his shield and sword from back in 2004. They turn into a Wii remote and Nunchuck. Apparently you can use your nunchuck to raise your shield.

[17:06] Bill Trinen appears on stage. He's playing a demo of the new Zelda game. Miyamoto says he's doing it wrong. Oh Bill, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!! Miyamoto appears on stage!

[17:08] We're back to Japanese, with Bill translating. Miyamoto starts attacking a bunch of mushrooms. Charming, what did they do to you? Now he's harassing a Deku Baba. You have to attack it in the same direction as it has it's mouth open. You can hold the Wii remote towards your head to have your sword charge with "The power of the heavens". He leaves the area through a door and you can use a motion with the nunchuck to bash rocks back at enemies. Now here are some more enemies. they have wunny hats on. How interesting. Could be worse, everything could have a face, like in Mario. The item selection method fr this game has changed. You hold down the B button and simply select any item "as though it's in you're pocket". Link has a TARDIS in his pocket. Miyamoto gets out the bow and arrow, and proceeds to fail at shooting spiders. For bombs you press a to place a bomb on the ground, and you motion with the controller to throw or roll it, a' la Red Steel 1. Oh dear, slight technical issues with the demo here. Miyamoto is getting interference through someone's wireless devices apparently. Are you sure it's not that it just doesn't work Shigsy? You have Beetles as items~? You can use them to have a look around apparently. Shigsy couldn't get that to work either. This is not going well is it. Aha, now this is more like it, there's a whip. I wonder how that could be misused. Given that it's a Nintendo game, you can't, but a man can dream. The demo ends with the promise of the demo being available to play on the show floor in coming days. The important thing, Miyamoto says, is that Development will likely continue throughout the rest of the year. I interpret that as "It'll be out next Christmas.

[17:20] Another trailer plays, and seeing Link close up, it seems that the game will have a slightly cel-shaded look.

[17:21] Reggie is back on stage. He's introducing some games, starting with sports, saying that you can make it ultra realistic or arcade-like in style. He tells us that there'll be an exclusive NBA game for Wii.

[17:22] And here folks, we have Mario. Who'd have guessed. I'm not entirely sure what the game is, it looks like some even more farfetched game of quidditch, but it's actually basketball. It looks very strange. At any rate, it'll be out in 2011.

[17:24] Reggie is out to prove the doubters wrong, telling us that Wii sales set a new record in December last year. The whole point of this speech is a defence. Mario Kart has sold 22 million units, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii 14m. Reggie announces Mii Party, a Mario-Partyesque party game for all your Mii characters. I only have one Mii on my Wii, but I don't intend to get this, so it's not really a concern.

[17:28] And here we see the sequel to Just Dance. Apparently you can have up to 8 players. How are they going to pull that one off?

[17:29] Reggie is telling us some info about the Golden Sun sequel they have in development for DS, and he's going to be showing us a trailer. For the DS, it's very graphically impressve. I don't pretend to be an expert on Golden Sun, but this does look interesting at worst, attractive otherwise. The title will be Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, and will be out "This Holiday". That's Christmas for us Britts.

[17:32] Now THIS IS INTERESTING! Nintendo are making a NEW GOLDENEYE GAME! Wow. Now that, IS news. Hopefully it won't be another Rogue agent. The game will be created by Activision, so given the Call Of Duty games they've published, they should know a thing at least. They better not ruin it.

[17:34] Here's something interesting too. Epic Mickey. We've known about this game for quite a long time, but so far we've seen nothing of it. They're going to be taking us through an on-stage demo. The graphical style is very recognisable, it's true to the Disney roots. Mickey is talking to Smee from Peter Pan. They're talking about the innovation introduced in the game. You can use paint and paint thinner to erase enemies or change the world. The way you use these abilities will afect what people will tell you, and hence how their story ends. So it's a branching game based on your choices. I'm sure it's no Mass Effect, but it's a start. It certainly makes sense that a Mickey Mouse game should be on the Wii, they may have a large audience for this one. The game will also have side-scrolling sections, and we're seeing one right now in Black and white, just like the very first Mickey cartoons. The demonstration ends with the promise of a playable demo on the stage floor. The demonstrators leave stage right.

[17:41] Reggie is back, and he's talking and he's talking about oneMr Sakurai. It's been 7 years since the last Kirby console game, so here we are, getting a new one. It looks a lot like the original kirby games, but the background looks like it's made out of fabrics. The look iss unique, and it's not half bad. The game is Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's expected to release "this fall" (Autumn).

[17:45] Now Reggie's talking about Dragon Quest 9. I'm not sure it's too popular over here. I'm getting slightly bored, when is he going to smash things? The game will have multiplayer, and when you close the lid using Tag mode, your DS will seek out other characters from other players around you, much like with Nintendogs.

[17:47] Other M! This is what I've been waiting for. The game looks to have improved drastically in terms of detail in the graphics. The environments look lush. There's one boss battle in there, and it looks almost God Of Waresque. Let's hope fr no quick time events. The game will launch on August 31st.

[17:50] Now what have Retro Studios been up to since they finished on Metroid. Well, we're about to find out. It's.. erm. It's Donkey Kong Country. Ok, I was very wrong about that one. My appologies to Darren, who was right on that one. There's a trailer playing, it looks slick.

[17:52] Now here's the juice. 3D gameplay. The chatter about 3DS. So what's their solution. We don't know yet how they're going to do it without glasses. A trailer is rolling. It's not telling us anything really, just showing us the past of 3D. The camera is panning stage left to a podium. On it, the 3DS! It looks like a DS. Iwata is on stage. Let's see if he can make it seem any less like a normal DS. He flips the lid. It still looks like a DS. Apparently the top screen is 3D, and without glasses. Still no word on how they're going to manage it. There's a slider on the console, with which you can choose the level of 3D. There's a strange tracker pas or something above the d-pad. The bottom screen will still be touch sensitive and they've upped the hardware. The tracker pad type thing is a gyro apparently. The 3DS is backwards compatible with the £Ds. It will have 2 cameras on the outside! that's a total of 3 cameras now, the second on the outside to capture 3D images. So what games are we going to see. Iwata mentions "Project Sora" from Mr Sakurai. Apparently the project was to design a game specific to 3DS. He says the character in the game he's about to show will be farmiliar. It's Pit, and it's Kid Icarus! The graphics are nothing less than excellent. This is beyond anything the DSi could do. It's getting close to PSP standards, but it's still not there yet. The game is Kid Icarus Uprising, and it's going to be availavle to view as a 3D trailer on the show floor.

[18:04] Iwata is talking about the benefits of 3D, of depth being easier to percieve. The 3DS will be Wi-fi capable, just as the DS has been, and it will still be free.

[18:07] Now Iwata is talking about the launch of the 3DS, and he hopes the launch will see the best third party software ever. Apparently Miyamoto is working on a 3DS Nintendocs... with cats! A slide goes up with the companies who hope to publish on the 3DS. Activision with DJ Hero, THQ, Square Enix, Capcom, Warner Bros, Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed, Namco Bandai, and Konami with Metal Gear Solid.

[18:09] Cue trailer reel with what the developers think ofthe 3DS. Obviously they're all saying how utterly amajing it is. We'll see chaps, we'll see.

[18:11] The developers are still bigging up the 3DS. I need some caffiene right about now, good thing this briefing is nearly over.

[18:12] Reggie takes to the stage again. He's wrapping up, going through what they've shown today, and how he hopes we like something. He's touting the new experiences, and 3DS. Apparently there's exclusive extras on e3.nintendo.com. I'm there!

[18:14] Cue trailer for the 3DS. Mario jumps out of the 3DS and Iwata gets dragged in. the same for Miamoto, but with Nintendo. then Reggie comes along, and sees Iwata and Miyamoto being chased by Bowser. He laughs manically, and gets fried by bowser. Back on the stage, reggie don's a ragged jacket. that was the most humerous thing of E3 so far, check it out later.

[18:16] A crapload of demonstrators enter onto the stage. Lots of women. Nice job Nintendo. They all have 3DS's. that's a lot of pretty ladies with a lot of fancy consoles. 8 Wii demo units also rise from the floor for the new Zelda game. The media present will be playing the 3DS untill 11am. That's 7pm for us Brits. Lucky them.

[18:19] That wraps it up. Reggie bids us adieu and the media mob scrabble to get their hands on a 3DS or Zelda, or maybe one of the pretty women.

[18:20] That's it from me for now. I'll be back at 8 with coverage of Sony's conference. Until then, I'm off to stock up on caffiene. See you later folks! Owen out.

Last edited by PlatinumSamusUK on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
PlatinumSamusUK
PlatinumSamusUK
The Regginator

Back to top Go down

Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog Empty Re: Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog

Post by Dunncor Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:33 am

Nintendo Won. Easily. End of.
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

http://www.thejoypads.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumSamusUK Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 am

I initially spot a flaw in that statement. Sony haven't had their conference yet. I wasn't really that impressed by this conference. I'll give it was better than Microsoft's, the announcements were better, but I'm not spellbound.
PlatinumSamusUK
PlatinumSamusUK
The Regginator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 am

Well that was a giant pile of MEH!!

Zelda didn't look like a step on from Twilight Princess, if anything it looked graphically weaker!! Hopefully tho it's a very early build considering the actions Link were doing didn't match anything Miyamoto did lol.

Was really looking forward to the 3DS reveal aswell, but urghh I dunno, style was it looked a mess. " different sized screens just looks wrong as Is going to make those DS games where images stretch out over both screens look awkward.

I really hope they have just squeezed the tech into a DS case for the purpose of showing something at the show Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog Icon_neutral

As for the DK and Goldeneye Wiimakes, they'd make good Virtual Console games but can't see them selling in vast numbers as full pricers.

Microsoft are still in the lead for me Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog Icon_biggrin
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunncor Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 am

That Donkey Kong game is brand new, it's like New Super Mario Bros but for Donkey Kong.
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumSamusUK Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 am

I'll give you the 3DS styling point. It looks ghastly. I think that's confirmed to me that I'll be waiting at least another hardware refresh to get a 3DS, giveh now the style of the DS improved over time. I'm waiting to reserve judgement over Goldeneye. Graphically, it loooked like a pile of dog vomit, especially after the Other M trailer, which putting aside my fanaticism, did look beautiful. Hopefully both games will be good. I don't like Daniel Craig, I really don't want him in my Goldeneye, but if the game is good, who am I to moan like a queen bitch. Zelda did look poor. I disliked an awful lot of what they showed, even down to the name. It just wasn't the same as that explosive reveal for Twilight Princess back in 2004, for that, even the trailer was mindblowingly awesome.

Really; honestly; I think E3 so far has been poor. Both companies have gone for the big hit out of the park and missed. As bad as it sounds, in my eyes, it's down to Sony to save the show, so no Giant Enemy Crabs please.
PlatinumSamusUK
PlatinumSamusUK
The Regginator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 pm

3DS looks amazing! I love how shiny it looks, I can't get over how amazing this E3 was for Nintendo, so much stuff! Other games have been announced for Nintendo on top of what we've already seen!

Starfox 64 3D
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Paper Mario

and that's just for a start! There's tons of others and plenty of 3rd party support too! Definately getting a 3DS Smile
Darren
Darren

http://www.shinesparkers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Wido Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Winner of E3. If you have noticed in the skype chat. I have been raving! And I mean literally... Zelda, Donkey Kong: Country. My Nintendo days are back and better. Darren, I will also get Other M. Will have also have to get the Metroid Trilogy and play through them.

I will be also saving my pennies for a 3DS as well. Brilliant!
Wido
Wido

http://thejoypadsnews.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunncor Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Zelda Skyward Sword
Zelda OoT 3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby Epic Yarn
Kid Icarus Uprising
Star Fox 64 3DS
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
AND MORE! LOTS MORE!

Winnar. Friggin friggin Winnar. Best E3 I can remember watching and reading about, near perfection.
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumSamusUK Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:42 pm

I must be the only one not to think there was a clear winner this year. Microsoft's conference took the piss, Nintendo's didn't grip me and Sony's had no real pizzaz. next week, when my exams are over, I'll write an editorial for the news page regarding the philosophies behind the conferences; the strategies and the behind the scenes issues. Maybe it's something that others would like to contribute to. If I do it on my own it really will be an editorial, and that's more than a lot of peope want to read.

Also, Cory, you can't have watched Nintendo's 2006 media briefing. I still hold that as the best I've seen Live. Before that, 2004 and 5 were also goot, but 2006 brought it all together and tied things up so well, what with the Wii name being freshly announced, loads of gameplay and just the right atmosphere.
PlatinumSamusUK
PlatinumSamusUK
The Regginator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunncor Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:50 pm

You're right Owen. I've only watched 4, the latest 4 (So 2007, and ongoing). Sony + Microsoft + Nintendo Every year (Except only half of Sony's this year) Nintendo's this year was easily the best I've seen Razz
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Winner if you just want to play Nintendo's own games lol

For all it's bluster, Wii is still SD and the graphics are getting no better. Have had 3 Wii's now and keep selling them as I get frustrated with the lack of quality 3rd party games Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog Icon_biggrin

I'm afraid to say that in Nintendo's eyes the Wii is a kiddy family console, and seeing as I can get my motion fix in lovely HD on PS3 and 360 now, I need not return for another go.

However I will probably pick up a 3DS or 4 Nintendo E3 2010 Liveblog Icon_biggrin
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Nintendo definately won it for me, the best E3 showing i've ever seen! I've also been watching since 2006!
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben64 Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:20 pm

I agree with everyone who says it's been the best, but I've not seen whole conferences since before last year! Only clips, so all I saw were trailers. Other M's looking slick, Zelda Wii's looking promising, 3DS graphics being bloody epic. (On that note, the 3DS's were strapped to WOMEN! I hope they come with a pre-order bonus).

Sony's conference bored the hell out of me, I only hastily tuned in again when they said they were showing Portal 2, and that wasn't too stunning either, to be honest.

In order of awesome: 1 - Nintendo 2 - Microsoft 3 - Sony
Ben64
Ben64
Graphics Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:49 am

Ninetendo had 3DS and that is all everything else looked like a Gamecube launch.

I feel sorry for you guys who were able to see anything pant wetting in that show. Zelda looked rubbish and Miyamoto looke like a fool with his dodgy presentation. Why he thinks these little plays he does are amusing is beyond me, my 3 yr old would struggle to be entertained lol
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by Wido Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 am

Definitely getting the 3DS. StarFox 64, Zelda: OoT, MGS3: Snake Eater 3D... YES PLEASE!
Wido
Wido

http://thejoypadsnews.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am

I think the majority of us in the chat were entertained. Does your 3 year old son even know who Miyamoto is? I think you're at the point where we can safely call you an old fart. Wink
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down