TheJoyPads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nintendo 3DS!

+10
Ben64
Wido
GhostAnime
PlatinumSamusUK
cheezysplosion
Pwiimus
RawkHawk
CONOR
Darren
Dunncor
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Nintendo 3DS! Empty The Nintendo 3DS!

Post by Dunncor Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 am

At E3, Nintendo will be introducing new hardware, the Nintendo 3DS.

In an official release, Nintendo describes the portable as allowing games to be "enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses". It is not yet known how the 3D effects will work, but it is possible that it could work like this Japan-only DSiWare game.

According to Nintendo, the product will go on sale between April 2010 and March 2011.

The Nintendo 3DS will succeeded the Nintendo DS series and will have backward compatibility for Nintendo DS and DSi games. It is important to stress that the Nintendo 3DS is a new hardware series.

In early January, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata gave an interview with Japan's second largest newspaper The Asahi Shimbun in which he apparently said the Nintendo DS successor will have "highly detailed graphics, and it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing".

Nintendo of America later told Kotaku that the Asahi Shimbun had "misinterpreted" Iwata's remarks. "Mr. Iwata did not make any comments regarding the functions of Nintendo's future hardware systems," Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's senior director of corporate communications told Kotaku. "The answer to the reporter's question was misinterpreted."

The Asahi Shimbun stands by its reporting and issued a statement to Kotaku Japan that read: "The article quoted Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's comment accurately." The actual quote in the article is a fragment of a longer sentence.

At a Nintendo quarterly Q&A, the exec addressed the issue with the Asahi Shimbun, asserting that the reporter stated, "The graphics for the next DS will be highly detailed and it will contain a motion sensor, right?" Iwata claims he then replied, "Those things are naturally being required. But do you think it would sell with just that?" Iwata emphasized that this last part was left completely out.

It appears that the extra element Nintendo believed was necessary to really sell the DS successor is 3D.

Regarding 3D, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has previously stated that Nintendo would need to look into the "possible health effects" of playing video games in 3D for prolonged periods of time.

Here is a handy summary of what we know about the Nintendo 3DS (and what we think we know).

Source: Kotaku

Also, any other gaming related Website on the Net...

tl;dr version:

– The Nintendo 3DS, will be released sometime during Nintendo’s next financial year (Apr 2010 – March 2011).

– It will be capable of producing 3D graphics, without the need for 3D glasses.

– The 3DS will be backwards compatible with the entire line of Nintendo DS products.

– It will be properly revealed during the E3 trade show in Los Angles, which will take place in June.

– Nintendo 3DS

I'm excited and curious already. Nintendo is bringing something I thought would still take a few more years to be affordable and officially released, 3D without the glasses.
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

http://www.thejoypads.com

Back to top Go down

The Nintendo 3DS! Empty Re: The Nintendo 3DS!

Post by Darren Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:58 am

Well this was good to know! Tomorrow I was buying a DSi, and now i've changed my plans! Very Happy

Well this is fantastic news! A brand new DS with 3D graphics, but is this the end of 2D gaming as we know it?

Incredible though, I can't wait until E3 for this! I doubt we'll see it until 2011 though
Darren
Darren

http://www.shinesparkers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CONOR Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 am

This has to be a joke. the FIFTH DS?

And there have already been two DS's made within a year. Who are they planning on selling these to?
CONOR
CONOR

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 am

CONOR wrote:This has to be a joke. the FIFTH DS?

And there have already been two DS's made within a year. Who are they planning on selling these to?

I don't think you bothered to read, but this is the 'DS sequel'. You might say it's still the DS, but it's more like the DS2.

/nerd

But I'm loving this.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by CONOR Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

RawkHawk wrote:

I don't think you bothered to read, but this is the 'DS sequel'. You might say it's still the DS, but it's more like the DS2.

/nerd

But I'm loving this.

it was probably just the DSiXL that gave me that idea (which annoyed me anyway).

Well, I might as well wait and see what this could be, and then, see how Nintendo will manage to ruin all the potential it might have.
CONOR
CONOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 am

Well that's changed my plans for Xmas presents lol, was going to get my kid a DSi to replace his lite. May as well wait for this now tho lol.
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunncor Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm

RawkHawk wrote:

/nerd

But I'm loving this.

What Alex said, this is the Next Generation of Handheld gaming. It's not the DS.
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cheezysplosion Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm

cant wait
cheezysplosion
cheezysplosion

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumSamusUK Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Blunder number 1 from Nintendo for their most recent piece of hardware. They've announced it far too early. Gives Sony a world of time to copy every last detail.
PlatinumSamusUK
PlatinumSamusUK
The Regginator

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostAnime Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 pm

As I've already said in that chat, I don't care about 3D; I care about quality games. Let's hear these first and I'll care. 3D sounds like a pretty dumb first gimmick (and actually a first from Nintendo to actually give it off like this ala Sony-esque), but we'll have to be in a wait and see mode.

Also, the price should be a concern right now.

edit: one more thing, it would truly be a travesty if sprite games were to disappear because of this on the DS but I'm not making any assumptions yet.
GhostAnime
GhostAnime

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 am

To be fair, the DS can do 3D, but that didn't stop sprite games.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostAnime Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 am

Yeah but if the 3DS' main gimmick is 3D (not saying it is but if that's their way of revealing a hand held these days..), who knows? Just a scary possibility I don't want to think abut too much right now.
GhostAnime
GhostAnime

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I don't think all games will use the 3D, similar to how not all Wii games use motion sensing. However, it certainly may decrease the number.

However, I think stuff like The World Ends With You may be neat in 3D.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wido Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm just going to wait till E3 arrives and make my own judgement till then.
Wido
Wido

http://thejoypadsnews.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben64 Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm rather optimistic about this new approach to gaming, especially on a handheld, which I didn't expect. Hopefully new details will be revealed at E3, until then we wait.

I do however think they're going a bit nuts with all the different versions of DS's releasing here and there. Hopefully this will be a big upgrade and not just an XL with a fancy screen.

edit: GhostAnime, i have a feeling that this could be used to change the way you play completley, judging by that clip of... whatever game that was where the guy found the letter 'A' by changing the angle at which he looked at it from. But again, we don't know much so just wait until E3. Smile
Ben64
Ben64
Graphics Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:14 am

Would be cool for 3D/2D updates of Streets of Rage, Guardian Heroes, any 2D scroll em up where yo move into the background Very Happy
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:20 am

Stewart.64 wrote:I do however think they're going a bit nuts with all the different versions of DS's releasing here and there. Hopefully this will be a big upgrade and not just an XL with a fancy screen.

Not sounding rude or anything, but it should be obvious that this is a whole new console. It plays 3D games, and there's no 3D DS games. I fail to see how people are having so much trouble with this.

PlatinumSamusUK wrote:Blunder number 1 from Nintendo for their most recent piece of hardware. They've announced it far too early. Gives Sony a world of time to copy every last detail.

This is early for Nintendo. Less than a year to release considering the original DS was around 2 years and the Wii was about 2 years too.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 am

It's a bluff Very Happy

Sony will rush release a 3D PSP, Nintendo will laugh and release a HD Tablet style handhelp to destroy the iPad Twisted Evil
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sat May 15, 2010 4:00 am

Haha I like the way you think Pwiimus Wink

Apparently the 3D in the 3DS is optional, you can turn it off and on. So can this be considered a gimmick?
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Sat May 15, 2010 6:53 am

Would you class the Wii Remote a gimmick?

It's not needed by all games and can be used as little or as much as needed by game developers.

I think the core games will all be 3D enabled, plus if you've got the option of developing a game on the console, why not do it in 3D.

The only reason I could see for not using it, is if the console is powerful enough to play Gamecube quality games and Ninty ports a good proportion of them over Very Happy
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 am

Pwiimus wrote:Would you class the Wii Remote a gimmick?

It's not needed by all games and can be used as little or as much as needed by game developers.

I think the core games will all be 3D enabled, plus if you've got the option of developing a game on the console, why not do it in 3D.

The only reason I could see for not using it, is if the console is powerful enough to play Gamecube quality games and Ninty ports a good proportion of them over Very Happy

The wii remote is a bad example, as its the most common control method, and not optional Wink
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Sat May 15, 2010 7:59 am

i beg to differ, Monster Hunter Tri, is set up for Classic controller use, Smash Bros has many alternate controller set ups.

Game developers don't have to make their games Wii remote adaptable they have the option to design their games around other control methods.

Therefore not a bad example Very Happy
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Sat May 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Actually, you've just shown that it's a good example too. While the Wii mainly uses the Wii Remote, it can use other methods such as Classic Controller. The 3DS will do the same, except they're saying the 3D can be switched off as an incentive for developers to not overuse the special feature like with the Wii.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:47 am

E3 is less than 2 weeks away!

We'll get more information about the 3DS and its actual name lol

I wonder if it will be released before Christmas in the UK...
Ghost
Ghost
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:52 am

I wonder if Metroid Dread will be a launch title! Very Happy
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next