TheJoyPads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming?

+4
RawkHawk
Dunncor
Ghost
Wido
8 posters

Go down

Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming? Empty Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming?

Post by Wido Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:21 am

This current generation of videogames has brought us them addicting achievements/trophies and the power of online gaming has took a massive step forward to be in the driving seat of the videogame industry.

Going back 10 years maybe to 15. Games obviously didn't have achievements/trophies and online gaming for consoles. Maybe the 10 year scale could be arguable I suppose, but online gaming didn't really get serious till 04-05. I started 2 to 3 years ago on the online gaming scene and I haven't look back since. Games like Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Body Harvest (just to name some examples) they didn't give us online gaming or achievements/trophies, simply because they were implemented back then. They did indeed hold up quite well as I can remember playing a lot of multiplayer with my friends and family. The majority of us here have been gaming for well over 10 years +.

I guess we can live playing with the older games which we have played in the past compared to the newer gamers of today. Videogames have been perceived differently to how they were 10 years + ago. Today, we have different kind of gamers. The achievements/trophies and the online gaming has given all of us a new edge to how we play our games. Are we competitive and opt straight for the online or are we completionists and want to see that 100% on the screen by obtaining all achievements and in-game content?

Simple question really. Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming? Because gaming has changed and the new type of breed gamers. If the industry went back to the good ol days such as Megadrive, N64, SNES and beyond. Will they have a chance today?
Wido
Wido

http://thejoypadsnews.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming? Empty Re: Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming?

Post by Ghost Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:58 am

Just look at most Wii Games atm Razz

Many people criticize Wii for not having Achievements, Online Co-Op and Leaderboards but I dont see a problem.

DKCR may just be my overall GoTY and that game has no online modes whatsoever.
Ghost
Ghost
Admin

http://www.thejoypads.com

Back to top Go down

Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming? Empty Re: Can videogames survive without achievements/trophies and online gaming?

Post by Dunncor Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:18 am

Achievements are no where near vital to gaming me thinks, Wii games do perfectly fine without them. However, they are one of the best forms of replayability, it gives an excuse to keep playing the games and do things I may not necessarily try to do. Also a good way of competing with friends, seeing who can 1000/1000 a game first Very Happy
Dunncor
Dunncor
Admin

http://www.thejoypads.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RawkHawk Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Video games can easily survive without any of this. I don't play online on my 360, or much at all anymore, yet I still have fun with games.
RawkHawk
RawkHawk

Location : Imaginationland, where you burp where you fart and you fart where you burp :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashworthy-Harvington Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:17 pm

I can't play online multi-player on my 360 and it's been ages since I went online with my Wii (even then it's usually only Mario Kart), but to be honest I don't really think I'm missing out that much - personally I think multi-player is a lot more fun when you've got your friends sitting with you Very Happy. As for achievements/trophies, I tend not to actively seek them out (basically I'm a lazy sod who doesn't go for 100% completion) but it's a nice surprise when I do get them. Getting to the end of the game's story is enough reward for me - or unlocking things within the game such as new levels and characters, but I guess Downloadable Content might be slowing down that train of thought with developers.

Either I'm getting too old and turning into Crank Kong or younger gamers are taking all these modern gaming elements for granted Razz. I'm surprised no one's mentioned motion-sensing in this thread - like it or lump it, thanks to the Kinect and Move it's here to stay for a while along with an emphasis on online multi-player (and despite what the fanboys say, there are enough examples on the Wii that prove it CAN be used for hardcore titles too).

Once upon a time not many people had home consoles, instead going to arcades, imagine that!
Ashworthy-Harvington
Ashworthy-Harvington

Back to top Go down

Post by NotNamedJohn Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Judging by the past 40 years of video games, I'm going to take an educated gamble and say yes. Razz
NotNamedJohn
NotNamedJohn

http://logicallyparadoxical.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pwiimus Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 am

Achievements, trophys et al have ruined gaming. Whereas once I used to buy my games based on the FUN aspect of the game, now I worry am I getting enough challenges for my 40 or so quid.

I remember paying over 60 quid for SF2 on the Megadrive and yet even with all the incentives on offer, refuse to part with a tenner for SSF4 lol.

Last edited by Pwiimus on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Pwiimus
Pwiimus

Back to top Go down

Post by NotNamedJohn Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm

I don't factor in achievements or online leaderboards when I make a purchasing decision, at all. Of course the most recent games I've bought were Metroid: Other M and some Gamecube games, so... XD

I do have The Orange Box on PC, however.

I can't add any more because I may be about to shit my pants, and that would be bad.
NotNamedJohn
NotNamedJohn

http://logicallyparadoxical.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostAnime Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:37 am

I'm pretty sure it can at least survive. Online games are only multi-player games.. which aren't the only games people play.

GhostAnime
GhostAnime

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down